About the year that's ending
• What do you remember most about this year?
• What events delighted and excited you? Why? How do you plan them for the next year?
• What did upset you? Why? How can you fix it?
• Were you happy or sad more often this year?
• What did you want to do this year? Did it work? Why?
• What would you have changed or done differently this year?
• Are you pleased with yourself this year? Did everything work out for you?
About the new year
• What do you want to be?
• What do you want to learn or discover?
• Can you do that in the new year? How much time will you need?
• How can you accomplish what you want? What will it take?
• What would you like to be excited about?
• Are there things you don't like or are frustrated about that make you a better person? For example, losing in sports?
• What would you like to change in your life? What about yourself? How can you do that?
• Are there benefits to problems and difficulties?
• Do you think we love you? Can you feel it?
• What moments with your family this year do you remember most?
• What would you change about our family?
• Do you like our traditions and which ones would you add?
• Why do you think sometimes children don't feel supported by family?
• What could we do next year together?
• What it means to be "proud of your family?"
• Do you remember your relatives in other countries? Do you want to communicate with them more?
About the world around you
• What do you like to do? Why?
• What might our world look like in 200 years?
• What scares you, pleases you, and makes you curious?
• Why do people fight? Can this be avoided?
• What do you want to be and why?
• What would you not want to be and why?
• What is the only law in the world you would accept that cannot be broken?
You can ask these questions before going to bed or during car rides. The main thing is not to interrupt the child, to let him/her speak out and not to judge him/her for their feelings. And then suggest concrete steps. For example, if they like music, suggest that next year they should learn to play the guitar. If the child wants to communicate with relatives and travel, enroll him/her in our Russian lessons.
Help your children reach their goals and they will be very grateful for it in the future!